Sunday, March 15, 2009

Three Cups of Tea

At least, that’s what I ordered.

It had become a morning ritual that Annemieke, Rebecca and I would get breakfast together (egg sandwiches and tea) at a one-woman stand on campus. This particular morning, I ordered for all of us: “Three teas for here, please.”

A little while later, the lady brought over my cup to the table. I spooned out my tea bag. The other two cups didn’t come, so my friends re-ordered. My tea kept getting darker and more and more bitter tasting. I idly swirled my spoon in the ceramic cup – only to hit upon another tea bag! Aha – the bitter culprit. I spooned it out.

We kept talking.

Until finally - a mouthful of pure bitterness shocked me into realizing that the unimaginable was happening. There was another tea bag!
And then it hit me: I had ordered “three teas."

Ghana 1. Obruni, 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment