Monday, March 16, 2009

My Grandma Must Be Dancing

At least, after listening to her and her friends plot subversive meetings against the conservative El Salvadoran government, I imagine she must be celebrating the end of 20 years of conservative party rule.

El Salvador held its presidential election yesterday.

The two major parties were ARENA and FMLN. ARENA is the right-wing party, which has been in power for the last 4 terms, is associated with the death squads from the 1980s, and was heavily backed by the US during the Cold War. FMLN is the left-wing party, which has been associated with guerrilla movements until a 1992 peace deal, and was originally formed by Marxist rebels.

The FLMN won by a margin of 2.6%.

I don’t know much about politics in El Salvador, but from what I’ve picked up, I’m hopeful about what a new leader and a new party might be able to do.

And, I’m excited to talk to my grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment